Sunday, April 22, 2012

Week 4 Runs

Sunday - trail around the lake by my house. 1.3 miles, 12 minutes
Time of day: 7:50PM - getting dark
Weather: HOT! Mid 80s.
Surface: Relatively smooth. Some small hills, one larger hill.
Issues: I had a stomach cramp at one point (I had just eaten) but it went away. I could have done more mileage but it was getting dark and running in the dark is a bit disorienting for me.

Monday - trail around the lake by my house. 1.3 miles, 12 minutesTime of day: 6:30PM
Weather: HOT! Almost 90 degrees
Surface: Relatively smooth. Some small hills, one larger hill.
Issues: None, just the heat

Tuesday - track at MCC. Hill work (2 1/8 mile hills, 10 minutes at 12 minute/mile pace)Time of day: 6:30PM
Weather: Warm - high 60s
Surface: Perfect
Issues: UGH! Why did I think it would be ok to run 2 days in a row? I'm never sore but I woke up this morning in pain!! My knees, especially, but also my right hip and my shins. I was hurting. I took an ibuprofen before the run with the group and that helped some. The fact that we were starting hill work didn't do my knees any favors, but I survived.

Thursday - trail around the lake by my house. 1.5 miles, 15 minutes
Time of day: 6:40AM
Weather: Mild, Sunny
Surface: Relatively smooth. Some small hills, one larger hill.
Issues: Some pain in my shins and knees, but nothing awful. I'm finding it takes me a good half a mile to feel "awake" when I run in the morning, but after that it gets easier and feels good.

Saturday:  Trail around the lake by my house.  25 minutes, 2 miles.
Time of day:  8:00AM
Weather:  Sunny, warm
Surface: Relatively smooth. Some small hills, one larger hill.
Issues:  This was hands down the longest run I've ever done. It was tough, more because of joint pain than endurance.  My knees bothered me a lot, as well as my right hip. However, I was really excited and proud that I got through it!

Other things to note:
-I'm continuing to do plenty of abductor exercises whenever I can (watching tv in the evening, before a run, etc) to try and build some strength in my hips. I think its really helping.
-Signed up to run my first 5k in June!!

No comments:

Post a Comment